- 644 make a file readable by anyone and writable by the owner
- go-w deny write permission to group and others.
- =rw,+X set the read and write permissions to the usual defaults, but retain any execute permissions that are currently set.
- +X make a directory or file searchable/executable by everyone
if it is already searchable/executable by anyone.
u=rwx,go=u-w make a file readable/executable by everyone and writable by
the owner only.
- go= clear all mode bits for group and others.
- g=u-w set the group bits equal to the user bits, but clear the
group write bit.
apt-get install <package_name>
This command installs a new package.
apt-get build-dep <package_name>
This command searches the repositories and installs the build dependencies for <package_name>. If the package is not in the repositories it will return an error.
aptitude install <package_name>
Aptitude is an Ncurses viewer of packages installed or available. Aptitude can be used from the command line in a similar way to apt-get. See man aptitude for more information.
It is documented in
Just for clarification; the downloaded packages are located in the apt package cache at
usermod -a -G ftp tony
Follow up by setting up the user authorization within .htaccess file. Copy and paste the following text in:
AuthType Basic AuthName "Restricted Files" AuthUserFile /path/to/passwords/.htpasswd Require valid-user